1.24.2007

Blog Launch... Plus A Little Background Info


Welcome to my new blog! My name is John Bartholomew, and I am a 20 year-old IM-elect from Eagan, Minnesota. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Texas-Dallas (UTD) pursuing a degree in Business Administration. I have played competitive chess on the American circuit for the past 10 years. Some of my accomplishments include a tie for first in the 2001 National Junior High School tournament, clear first in the 2002 National High School tournament, and the accumulation of 4 International Master norms from tournaments in Philadelphia, Las Vegas, and Dallas.

More than anything though, I am a chess fan. This crazy game has already provided me with so many opportunities in life that I somehow feel obligated to return the favor.

The origin for this blog is a 250+ page Word document of mine that is roughly five years old and has survived on more than a few laptops and flash drives. It contains the sum of my chess experiences: my thoughts, analysis, games, goals...you name it! I've never shown it to anyone, nor do I plan to in the future (I'm sure all of you are oh so eager to see it anyways). Writing is one of my passions, and this "living" document will always be a work in progress.

Oh right...the blog! The blog you're reading now will hopefully be my small contribution to the promotion, discussion, and appreciation of anything having to do with chess. I hope to translate much of what I have written about privately to a more public forum. I will do my best to update it frequently, but with a full class schedule and social college life I can hardly make such promises! I don't intend for this to read strictly as a chess "news" site, though current events in chess will certainly be featured. Rather, I intend to post things that will most interest casual or competitive players: game analysis, chess psychology, first-hand tournament reports, openings theory...the possibilities are endless.

I will end my first post with a plea to you, the reader: please, please, please give me your feedback! I don't claim to know everything about chess, nor do I want to give that impression. I'm simply an experienced player who hopes to use my knowledge of the game to make a site like this work. I want to know what you think! E-mail me your questions, things you want to see discussed...anything. Heck, just introduce yourself. You can reach me at: john.bartholomew@student.utdallas.edu

Thanks again for reading. Check back soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear your thoughts, and commentary on the incredible Keaton Kiewra vs Alex Chua match that occurred on Friday, Jan 25 at Chess Club. I hope that in the future you will cover the UTD Chess Club's 'match of the week'. Thanks for your contribution to the world of chess and for keeping it real.

D

Anonymous said...

Is there any higher rated chess player that can beat you in golf?

Joe Erjavec said...

John,

I wish you well on this blog and in your continuing life in chess!

Anonymous said...

That is probably the most humble introduction for a blog ever.