1.27.2007

Gibtelecom Masters

Well I promised that this wouldn't be just a chess "news" blog, and here I am making another tournament post! My bad. Anyways, you should scope out the Gibtelecom Masters, a very strong 9-round Swiss currently underway in Gibraltar. GM Ivan Sokolov has jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but he will have a tough time dealing with the host of Grandmasters nipping at his heels. A notable competitor at 3.5 points is Super-GM Michael Adams of England, who sports an intimidating 2735 FIDE. Shouldn't he be at Corus or something?!

Michael Adams
Michael Adams

Our own Hikaru Nakamura is also in the field. He seems to have recovered after a first round loss to Ketevan Arakhamia of Georgia (the country, not the state), and I certainly hope he can continue to climb the leaderboard.

I'll try and annotate some of the games from this tournament for my next update. Meanwhile, Monroi can satisfy your live viewing needs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Gibraltar does have a good tournament running with a few Corus alumni participating. Sokolov will run out of steam if he follows form. Adams' solid play will carry the day.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Keep up the good work.

-Asuka Nakamura

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's not fair, but ever since his match with Hydra, I think of Adams' career the same way I think of Taimanov's after his match with Fischer.